Top Menu

I'm not interested in signing Mikel, Watford boss says

Walter Mazzarri, coach of Watford, has ruled out a move for Nigeria international John Obi Mikel in the January transfer window.

Ighalo had urged the Hornets to make a move for Mikel after he fell out of favour with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte.

Speaking to reporters ahead of today’s meeting with Everton in the Premier League,Mazzarri made it crystal clear that he wasn’t interested in signing Mikel.

Mikel, 29, has been linked with possible moves to Marseille, Manchester United, Valencia and the Chinese Super League in January.

Chelsea coach Antonio Conte has hinted that John Obi Mikel will remain at Stamford Bridgeat the end of the January transfer window and the Nigeria national-teamer is unlikely to be offered a new contract at the end of this season.

Speculation had been rife that the defensive midfielder would depart the Blues next month with clubs in France, Spain, England and China interested in snapping him up.

“The situation with Obi Mikel is simple: he’s in the squad. He stays with us. We know that, at the end of the season, probably his contract will expire, ” Conte told reporters at Friday’s press conference.

“But I don’t know what happens now. He’s a player whois part of this squad, and every single game I take my decision about him.”

The Super Eagles captain has not played competitively for Chelsea this term despite being fit.
Designed by OddThemes | © Xclusive Media 2018